Video Production in Science Education
Are you aware that your school or organistion can receive financial support for training and mobility under the Erasmus+ programme ? A number schools and organisations have benefitted from funding and they have taken part in training with us in Barcelona, Valletta, Citta della Pieve and Rome. Our team offers support with the application process in order that your school may benefit from such funding bringing the most needed results for the organisation and its members of staff. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
|Video clips produced during past training courses|
This course is in part technical training in basic skills for video production and in part classroom and project management oriented to bring video production into the science classroom. The underlying concept behind the training is the use of video production as a means for fostering cooperation and autonomy in the classroom, making the teacher less of a teacher and more of a leader and director. It is the introduction of video production in the science classroom as a means towards instilling interest in research in science and the acquisition of presentation skills on science subjects in the minds of the students.
Preparation before the course
Participants will first become of the SEEP network and they will be prepared for the SEEP mindset by sharing teaching ideas with other members of the network. This will set the networking environment in the social media spaces of SEEP that will continue even during the days of the training and after the course.
The preparation will involve the participants in looking at how they use cooperative learning, inclusion, project work and research in their science class. It is from there that they will start looking at how they can integrate different approaches in teaching science. They will also start having input on the potential of the use of the video camera in the science class or in cross curricular activities using video in which science is made more attractive and fun.
Participants will also have the opportunity to have some preliminary exchange on the learning outcomes that they imagine could be generated in such learning environments.
During this preparation time the participants will be made aware of the essential part of the outcomes of the course being that of sharing skills and competences acquired during the course with colleagues and peers in their respective learning environments.
Objectives of the course
The course has three objectives :
- the acquisition of skills in combining approaches including collaborative learning, inclusion of different learning methods, research and project work in the science classroom by changing the dynamics around the video camera. This means that the course will impart skills in classroom management, sound lesson preparation, cooperation with other teachers and leadership.
- the acquisition of technical skills, competence and confidence with the use of the video camera in the classroom. This includes sound understanding of how the camera changes dynamics in the classroom, the leadership in video projects and the steps in video production that can be used as steps in project work in the science classroom.
- the acquisition of awareness of various learning styles and skills in the classroom and how these can be tapped in team work, cooperation and inclusion processes in the science classroom. It includes sharing this awareness with the students who, by learning about their individual inclinations and learning patterns they can find the best paths possible for a career in science.
The major objective of the course is to further the mission and philosophy of the SEEP network namely that opening the minds of teachers and students on alternative applications and careers in science and foresight. Although the course has specific objectives and is classroom based it will generate a working environment that favours informal learning and networking. It will wherever possible provide practices that can be emulated in school and in class by the participants after the end of the course.
The course will mix three approaches that will in fact constitute the methodology of the learning experience :
- during the technical and practical sessions with the video camera and with the new dynamics that turn the science class into a video project environment the teachers will, with their new confidence with the camera and video projects preparation and implementation, come out as strong leaders. The environment of working and leading the students through exciting science projects will help teachers gain the respect and admiration of their students who are in turn excited by this new dynamic in class. SEEP does in fact see the teacher as a mentor, leader and a person who inspires rather than just delivers a curriculum to bored students.
- the course will use what participants already know in different learning environments in the classroom and transfer them to the course. This approach has a triple benefit. It will help teachers reflect about cooperative learning, cross curricular and project based learning and the benefit of such approaches. The course will invite them to be aware of the roles and importance of different learning patterns and personalities that students use and have in a team, the skills that determine their role in the team. This reflection, together with input about learning patterns, personalities and inclinations of individual students will help teachers look at such learning environments as opportunities of paramount benefit potential for students to discover themselves and their skills.
- there will be a strong focus on classroom dynamics, cooperation in the school with other players including parents, school management and other teachers. This will build on the years of experience of the trainers both in the SEEP network and in the startup and maintenance of viable networks.
Follow up to the course
After the course the participants will share outcomes of the course in the SEEP video showcase that is public on the portal of VisMedNet and in social networks. They will be solicited to invite their colleagues to join the network.
Programme of Activities
For enquiries about Erasmus+ programme funding, dates and registration for this course write to email@example.com
Go back to general Science Education page : http://vismednet.org/SEEPTraining
To look at what we have been doing in training over the years you can visit http://vismednet.org/SEEP_past_training
Video clips produced by teachers in past training while getting used to video production, gaining confidence with role play, video production and a more collaborative environment in the classroom.
#AntoineGambin #InternPrize #Malta #MaltiMediaHouse VisMedNet #VisMedNet #InternPoint Antoine+Gambin